<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, May 15, 2005

UFOs spotted over Melbourne
By MATTHEW SCHULZ
15 may 2005

WHAT are orange, hover high in the sky over the eastern suburbs and form strange, intricate patterns?

If witnesses to the strange phenomenon seen on Friday night are to be believed, the answer could be alien spaceships. The mystery developed at 10.30pm when about a dozen of the orange lights were seen hovering over Ferntree Gully. Tim Webster, 23, of Upwey, admits he was looking forward to an alien abduction as he photographed the lights on his phone-camera.

"I was really hoping they were going to land. I was like, 'Take me! Take me!' Seriously, the galaxy is too big for us to be alone.

"They were too high for fireworks, higher than a jet and creating patterns that no aircraft could ever do."

Mr Webster called his friend Aaron Singe, 22, who was at Mountain Gate shopping centre.

"Tim just said, 'look outside, you're not going to believe it'," Mr Singe said. "I'm pretty hard to convince about this sort of thing, but this is too weird."

Another friend, Stuart Wilson, 24, managed to take video footage of the lights.

The shaky video shows a dozen pricks of light forming shapes such as diamonds, lines, characters and what looks like the Southern Cross.

The lights were visible for 10 minutes before flying in different directions and vanishing, Mr Wilson said.

"It's possible aliens are driving them, but until I see one I'm not going to be convinced," he said. "This is pretty close, but I didn't see any little green men."

But Mr Webster didn't need convincing.

"I was never into sci-fi but now I'm going to do my homework on UFOs," he said.

Local pizza shop manager Ned Bulic also took phone pictures and said: "They were definitely alien UFOs. Nothing else could have moved like that."

Police contacted Melbourne Airport after reports came in from Hallam to Boronia but there were no anomalies on the radar.

http://heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,15290518%255E2862,00.html

|